FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to stay in Portland, OR?
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2016, 9:02 am
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
fozziedoggie, can you compare the Hilton to the Embassy Suites ? I'm booked into the ES in August but the current HH sale as the Hilton at a much better price.
I've stayed at the Embassy Suites. It was a while ago, but I'm sure things aren't too different.
It was a local property and acquired by Hilton and re-branded as an ES probably 10-15 years ago. Some of the rooms are very large, the one I had was enormous. So it isn't a typical cookie-cutter ES property, there is no atrium. Gym was just ok (but if you're in Portland, I'd just run along the river).
I think there's a thread on the HHonors forum that I've posted in.

If money is a consideration, you can also look at the Doubletree Lloyd Center. It isn't right downtown, but across the river. It is still in the free zone for the light rail and maybe 5-10 min to most places downtown. When we last stayed there it was considerably lower than either the ES or Hilton downtown.

I would highly recommend renting a car for at least a day. We drove a loop, out to Multonomah Falls and returning around Mt Hood. Otherwise, you definitely do not want a car in town. Public transit is very good nearly everywhere in town.