FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do I want to earn AMEX MR?
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2016, 11:18 pm
DjRocket

Originally Posted by CaroPalms
I'll give you two recent examples. I had to go to SLC back in April and instead of paying $900, I used 40k points....
You got a $900 ticket for 40k skymiles? Wow Delta must have been running some special, I've never seen anything that low. I just ran some tests and the lowest I found is 65k plus taxes in $. It sounds like Skymiles have a large variation in their value depending on the destination, season etc. I guess occasionally it would be a better deal.

Originally Posted by CaroPalms
... With MR, UR, etc. you not only have a cash back option (albeit at a lower ratio) you can also transfer to other programs and see some real ROI.
No questions on UR, yes, I'm aware of the UR's power. I'm just looking for the usefulness of the MR when compared to other options like 2x cash back. I guess you can transfer them to some international carriers and perhaps get a better value than using 2x cash back, but my flying patterns are primarily within North America. It'd be nice to see a concrete example (with numbers) of how investing in MR would beat 2x cash back on domestic flights.

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Any International Business or FC ticket beat cash back...
Unfortunately, I don't produce large volumes of points, so flying economy, but I see your point. Any upgrade due to some status that comes with the MR would be a perk.

Maybe I should visit that seminar you advertise and start flying FC too : ). Do you mind telling the name so I could look it up? Thanks!