FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Streaming advice for beginner
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2016, 7:37 pm
IsleOfMan

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
As nmenaker mentioned, if you're planning on using OTA HDTV to supplement your streaming providers, TiVo Roamio OTA or TiVo Bolt is definitely the way to go... you'll most likely be able to get your local network channels (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS/CW and some other second-tier channels), have full DVR functionality for those channels, and have access to Netflix/Hulu/Yahoo/Amazon/YouTube/Vudu/HBO GO/Plex. You can also expand to other rooms using the TiVo Mini (you'll need a MOCA adapter for the Roamio OTA, it's built into the Bolt). You can also expand with the Amazon Fire Stick which has a TiVo app, though it can only access recordings and not live TV (though it can access in-progress recordings, which can be a work-around for live TV).

I currently have the Bolt, two Minis, and two Amazon Fire TV sticks. I'm still on Comcast but may cut the cord and switch to AT&T GigaPower internet when they finish the build-out in our neighborhood. If I do cut the cord, still having TiVo will make it a much more manageable and enjoyable experience.