FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stranded in YYT for 24 hours - passenger rights?
Old May 22, 2016, 7:24 pm
eigenvector

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Perhaps I'm missing something here but I sense a rather unfriendly tone to your response! You can hardly argue that a 24 hours delay is an ideal situation in any airline, regardless of what the reason was?

If I am told by a phone agent that this is the best option, who am I to question it? Why should it be my responsibility to phone back and push for a better solution? I explicitly asked if there were any quicker connections (even if she needed to head west via YYZ/YUL etc) and was told "no", YYT-LHR 24 hours later is the only option.

I only came on here to ask the "regulars" what the deal is over there. I fully understand EU compensation only applies for flights departing the EU, I just wanted to know if anything similar existed in Canada and/or if it was worth asking for anything extra. As the saying goes, "if you don't ask, you don't get".

Alas, it seems I am wasting my time so I will keep my mouth shut in future
I don't think anyone here is trying to defend AC. People are just giving you the facts: AC has no legal responsibilities to compensate you, nor do they proactively help you re-route during situations like these. This is the sad state of the airline market in Canada and the only way around it is to protect yourself with travel insurance that will let you buy your way out of such situations.