FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stranded in YYT for 24 hours - passenger rights?
Old May 22, 2016, 11:47 am
Wpgjetse
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Hello all - just paying a brief visit over from the BA forum!

So....my other half was flying YYZ-YYT-LHR last night but they experienced a bird strike on landing at YYT and so the aircraft was grounded for the night. She's been re-booked on tonight's YYT-LHR. I'm a commercial pilot myself so fully understand the nature of these things!

Apparently the ground staff in YYT were pretty useless but eventually they gave her a hotel and a 22 CAD voucher. They wouldn't help with her re-booking and so it took several phone calls from me to AC to get her on the next flight.

My question is, are AC obliged to do any more? My main gripe is 22 CAD doesn't get you much on an airport hotel (it just covered her breakfast). A taxi to town so that she can get lunch is gonna cost her around $40 return and she will need to use 1 extra vacation day as there's no chance she'll go to work after an overnight flight in Y!

In Europe she'd definitely get EU compensation amounting to several hundred $ - is it worth pressing AC for a bit more considering 24 hours is quite a significant delay?
I would say a bird strike is unlucky and not really AC fault, but it is their problem. I don't know even if it would qualify to get EU compensation under their rules. I would be happy with the hotel and make the most of it. I would have tried to get back to YYZ and take the day tripper. Can't she eat at the airport hotel? It's not AC responiblitiy that your wife wants to eat where it requires a taxi ride. At least it is a short flight to London.