FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Printing from Android Devices
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2016, 12:26 am
Error 601

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Printing from Android Devices

Over the last year or so my long retired parents computing habits have changed a fair bit, my father has gone from using a Surface Pro and my mother from using an iMac to them both overwhelmingly using Android tablets almost exclusively.

My mother has an 8" Galaxy Tab 4 and my father has a 9.7" Galaxy Tab A.

An issue that has become a significant source of frustration in this transition is printing, Cloud Print using their ancient laser printer (I don't remember when exactly they bought it, but it has a "Certified for Windows Vista" sticker on it) only works until it doesn't with no rhyme or reason to when Cloud Print decides the printer is offline. Using the iMac or an old PC makes no difference, using Chrome or the Google Cloud Print Service for Windows makes no difference, hours, days or weeks later Cloud Print will decide the printer is offline. They just get frustrated, complain they're wasting enough electricity to power a small city keeping the computer turned on and email things to their real computers and print them from there.

Their print volume is insignificant enough that an Inkjet might not be economically unreasonable, but they also have no need for printing in color.

So I am curious what hardware or strategies are providing people with satisfactory outcomes for printing from Android.

At work our Cloud Print and AirPrint printing is done through PaperCut NG but people still complain about printing from Android being flaky.