FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gay New Zealand
Thread: Gay New Zealand
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2016, 1:02 am
PurdueFlyer

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I guess if its been a month without a reply, should be a bit of a clue!

Although its known as the "Queen City," the scene even in Auckland is not quite as buzzy as one would expect (certainly not like SYD). Most of the gay pubs are located on or near Karangahape Road ("K" road in local parlance) although the area definitely has a more edgy vibe than a gay vibe. Wellington...I cant remember exactly but the options were few. In any event, Wellington had the 7's (rugby tournament) going on at the time I was there, and the costumes and street revelry were better than anything going on at the local gay bar. Auckland Pride is in February, so you'll miss that.

If you want other vacation advice, I'd recommend looking into "deadheading" a car one-way. NZ always has a plethora of rental cars that get stuck on the South Island and there are websites and companies that can help you locate these for one-way rentals back north. they are usually free and include xx number of kilometers as long as you get the car to XYZ in the allotted time. I've been to NZ 4 times now, and its a great way to amble and see the country. Last year, we did a quick 2-day rental from WLG-AKL the only cost was to return the car with a full tank. Feel free to PM me if you want other suggestions. cheers mate.