FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2016, 4:41 am
YoungBubbie

Originally Posted by jmtfp
I've got a weird one. About 6 weeks ago I booked a room for 0 points a night. Mostly expecting it would have fallen over by now, I've locked in a flexible alternative that's looking pretty good but clearly quite a bit more expensive. The issue is it's a 2hr flight away from the 0 points a night hotel as opposed to a ride in a taxi and only flexible up to a few days before check in. So I kind of need to figure it out prior to flying out. Both of them are more than 20 hours flying for us to get to and that's all locked in. I should mention this stay is more than a week long. The confirmation email is unclear regarding the daily rate. I have screen shots the whole way through the booking process showing 0 points per night and 0 points total for the booking. When I open the reservation online it shows the normal amount of points but appears as though they've been deducted from my account. They haven't. I never had any where near that number of points. I've got about 6 weeks until check in. If I don't hear from them between now and check in and they noticed then, do you think I could push back on the loyalty program seeing as it was a mistake on their website, they'd had 3 months to decide it was an error and contact me and I'd have just flown half way around the world to get there? Also seeing as how the cost to the loyalty program would be far less significant than it would be to the property and the fact that they generally seem to have a fair amount of room to credit points to accounts in special circumstances. I realise it's poor form not to be more specific about which property I'm talking about but it's definitely no longer bookable at that rate so I don't see the point. Obviously if they contact me before hand I'm cooked but just wondering how you think I'll go if I'm not contacted by then and just front up?

1.So when you look at your reservation its showing as though a normal points reservation stating the correct amount and that they've already been deducted? Then to the hotel it would appear as a normal booking. So you wouldn't have a problem.

2.There could be a few Instances as to why you had 0 points redemptions. You might have encountered a problem and the hotel or loyalty program was giving you a customer accommodation and this was the way the agent input into the system.

3. If the loyalty notices their mistake and you are already there you could argue to have them deduct the points in your account and take whatever you have as full payment.

4. If you get there and they reject completely, you can try to negotiate a good rate for the night and next day go to your backup hotel.

What to do? Personally I would hate to give up on it and just be prepared for a fight. You might end up with something in the end. I just went through an issue I had with an airline. My husband thought it was a lost cause, but I perserved and after 2 months the airlines finally came through.

Good luck. Keep us informed as to the outcome.