FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SIA: Declining yield per pax
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2016, 7:32 pm
ExSin

SIA: Declining yield per pax

This is a known news and been discussed that ME3 have impacted not just North American but other carriers too, including SQ.

However, the fact that the below article appeared in local media and its language, intuition tells me the next move to cut costs will be justified based on this news below.

Thread open to discuss potential cost/ service cuts, including the possibility of an olive cut from meals.

SINGAPORE — Singapore Airlines (SIA) is fighting to prevent travellers from switching to Emirates Airline, which is offering luxuries like on-board shower, while budget carriers are chipping away at the coach class. The result: The lowest yield from passengers in six years.

Yields, or the revenue earned from a passenger for flying a kilometre, was 10.6 Singapore cents in the year ended March, dropping from 11.2 cents a year earlier. That damped full-year net income to S$804 million, or about a quarter of what Emirates racked up in the same period.

South-east Asia’s biggest airline by market value is facing increasing challenges to retain customers as the Middle East carriers expand more into the region and about a dozen low-fare offerings seek to win business on short-haul routes from Singapore to resorts like Bali and Phuket. To fight back, Chief Executive Officer Goh Choon Phong, 52, has ordered more than US$10 billion (S$13.7 billion){ of new aircraft and formed alliances from Australia to India as Asia is poised to become the world’s biggest travel market in two decades.

<snip>
Bloomberg article

My thoughts:
- Minor ramp down in meals (quality/quantity)
- Devaluation in award chart
- Unlikely they will discount heavily

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 15, 2016 at 12:10 am Reason: edited for copyright, add link