FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have you been Victimized by credit or debit card skimming? How to prevent it?
Old May 11, 2016, 10:05 am
invisible

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by shuigao
Don't know yet. The fraud investigation apparently takes "6-8 weeks" (I got hit with the charges in mid-April).

In the meantime, the us$5k is still sitting in my account, and appears on my outstanding balance both on the statement and on internet banking, despite multiple Citibank phone agents on multiple occasions telling me that they would temporarily reverse the charges ...
So you are hooked and responsible for it. If it is in your upcoming statement then you have to pay it and only after that, if you are lucky, they will refund it back. Congratulations and good luck.

/offtopic on
When I said several years ago and say again that customer service and protection in US is best in the world, somehow a lot of people in this forum take the statement as a personal offence.
/offtopic off

Originally Posted by shuigao
I forgot to sign the back of my Citi PM Amex, and not once in eight months of use did a waitress, cashier etc notice.
None of my Singapore cards have my signature. Nobody bothered for 4 years.

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Interesting that so many people seem to be wary of using cards in "third world" or "developing" countries, yet every single example of fraud on this thread has happened in the "developed" world.
Yes and no. There was a big case here in Singapore (1st world country) 3 years ago, where two 'tourists' from Malaysia cloned ATM/Debit cards of number of people at several compromised DBS ATM and then hit each account with at least $5000 cash withdrawals done at Malaysia and couple of other neighbouring countries. Total amount of losses were in the range of several millions, if I remember correctly.

They were eventually caught, not cash was not recovered.

Last edited by invisible; May 11, 2016 at 11:03 am