FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have you been Victimized by credit or debit card skimming? How to prevent it?
Old May 11, 2016, 4:05 am
WorldLux

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by richard
Happened twice in the past six months. One an atm card and one a credit card. Making me hate to pay with plastic on a trip. The atm card was at a real bank atm. Any tips on preventing this?
Not much to do. Don't share your credit information with dubious operators. Don't leave your card out of your hand. Even then, you can still end up being scammed.

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
USA: $500+ spent on cloned card at K Mart in New York, and bizarrely $4.95 at Burger King. No idea how or where the card was cloned.
They usually go to BK or McDonalds to test if the cards working.

Happened to me over 10 years ago. I paid with my new credit card at a petrol station in Belgium, before hitting the road to the UK. By the time I arrived in Plymouth (~48 hours later), the card had been heavily used and already blocked by the card issuer.

They were pretty certain that there was a scam going on, given that I paid for petrol somewhere along the Belgian Seaside and that only a few hours later the card was used in New York City to order at McDonalds (for 2 or 3$). After that it was used at BestBuy and large stores specializing in multimedia and electronic goods.

By the time the credit card issuer got suspicious (who reacted within hours), they managed to rack up 2,000 or 3,000$ worth of damage. The credit card issuer send all transactions: They bought flatscreen tvs, iPods, phones, etc... .