FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Plans-Toronto City Centre airport.
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:14 pm
Bytepusher

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Since moving to Toronto, and living in the city centre, I have still never flown anywhere from the Island Airport, preferring instead to just hop on VIARail to Ottawa or Montreal. Part of the problem is the outrageous fees and taxes which often double the ticket price and make taking VIA1 a bargain.</font>
The best days for this airport were in the late 90's, time was I could leave my house at 6:45AM and be at my desk at Kent and Laurier by 9:15 pretty reliably. Can't do that with VIA, I love that VIA1 experience and will opt for it over YYZ any day even though it usually means an extra night away from home but 2.5 hours in only mild discomfort from YTZ trumps 4+ hours in even the VIA1 ride (and frankly since these days the express is so crowded it ain't always so comfortable. Most times you could get a ticket for $99 bucks with few restrictions because AC was driving VistaJet and Greyhound out of business. Even until fairly recently as airport travel experiences go it was a huge improvement over YYZ, because you really could get to the terminal 15 minutes before flight time and still make the flight with time to pop upstairs for a cuppa, but Jazz has slowly been killing it and the longer cutoff hasn't helped. I expect now they will not so quietly announce shutting the operation completely to coincide with the opening of T1-New in April.