FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners (obsolete posts)
Old May 5, 2016, 7:58 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Perhaps I'm being oversensitive due to my experience with the Smisek Regime at United, and the tendency to be opaque in announcing changes. In there case they often announced changes that were retroactive in their effective date.

Since AA seems hell-bent on a revenue based mileage accrual program--which by the way, I don't think is necessarily a revenue enhancer if you look at United's revenues and yields since matching Delta on this. Why not tell us what's going on?

When is the second half of the year? (seems now we have unofficial idea it's the 4th quarter).

Given that AA is being very non-committal on a start date, couldn't they at least come out with a statement of reassurance about what will happen with reservations already made that end up subjected to the new policy??? Is that too much to ask?

I supposed if AA comes out and says, that miles will be earned based on the booking or traveling date which ever is earlier (through the end of 2016) some people might rush to book flights now. Financially, I don't see much down side if they were to do this, if some people rush to book under the current program, then AA gets to play with that revenue for several months, and isn't on the hook for anything more than they are right now in terms of miles. And if people, want to wait to book more expensive flights such as international business class travel, they can do so (again I don't see a massive mileage obligation on AA's part given the current bonus mile program for long-haul). Ending the speculation, and anxiety some people have would benefit AA by providing a clear course of action for purchase decisions.
I'd say a statement by Suzanne Rubin is pretty much a "take it to the bank" kind of thing.

It has also need discussed and verified that the booking date won't make a difference; the dates flown will.

E.g. booking now for November won't change anything if revenue based Award Miles earnings are implemented in October.