FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2016, 9:24 am
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Thanks for the feedback but maybe I didn't phrase my question correctly. I am open to other properties but was focusing on the Marriott since I have status with them and can use a bunch of points I have banked up. To be right on the beach would be nice but, given the vast difference in cost for those properties (Moan Surfrider, Outrigger, etc), being across the street is fine. The main thing I was looking at was having a nice ocean view to enjoy rather than a city view.

I have a couple of options with the Marriott and both use 280,000 points for the stay. The big difference is that an ocean view room is almost $500 less than a deluxe ocean view for cash out-of-pocket. The first thing I was wondering about is whether it was worth it to pay the extra $500 for the "deluxe ocean view". Is there that much of a difference in the rooms?

The second question I have is, being a Platinum member, is there a chance of an upgrade to the deluxe ocean view room if I book just the standard ocean view room? It seems like this has been hit or miss for some folks.

The one thing that does concern me is that I've seem some people say they've booked an ocean view room and the room wasn't really what was advertised. Also, the comments that the rooms are tired and run down makes me hesitate a little bit since it is going to cost a fair number of points and cash. Oh, one additional question - what exactly do we get for the resort fees? I'm not sure I saw where this was explicitly stated before.

I do have some options for non-Marriott properties but none are ideal. For example, I could work it so that I could use points and cash for the Surfrider or one of the other Starwood properties but in each of those cases, the only rooms available for cash/points are city view rooms. So, I'm primarily looking at Marriott at this point.

Thanks