FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high-end hotels usually disappointing?
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2016, 3:13 am
stut
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
High-end doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be to your taste.

There are hotels whose check-in procedure is a half-hour of fawning, please sit here, oh, we'll get you a drink and some hot towels, how lovely of you to choose us, look at our wonderful restaurants, I'll show you to your room and give you a 15-minute tour of how to use televisions and light switches etc, etc. Others will have someone approach with a tablet as you enter, check you in in 10 seconds, and hand you a key, making it clear they're available for any further questions if need be.

Some will assume you're there on business and charge huge markups on extras. Others will think you've paid enough, and include soft drinks, internet, etc as part of the deal.

Some will provide restaurants of good quality but generic international dishes that make you feel at home. Others will give some decent local flavour to make you feel you're away.

Some will have concierges who can get you in anywhere, but will always direct you to rather overpriced options that they get a kickback from. Some will have concierges who listen and have great local knowledge, but fewer contacts.

Some will have exclusive restaurants, bars and leisure facilities that you really need to dress up for. Others will have less impressive but low-key facilities that make you feel relaxed.

Some will have an incredible range of room service options from drinks and snacks to meals, delivered quickly. Others will have more in-room facilities.

Of course, none of these are entirely either/or, but I've certainly encountered both extremes. I strongly dislike fawning service, over-the-top bars and restaurants, taking unnecessary time to do things, etc. I love service that anticipates what I want, has a genuine personal touch, and keeps the formalities to a minimum. But others differ.

FWIW, my favourite hotel is one in India. I felt like they got to know me (my behaviour as a guest was a little unusual for the hotel, admittedly), and on each return, I was visually recognised as soon as I arrived. I got genuine advice on anything I asked, a genuine warmth, and a top-notch Mysore-style masala dosa for breakfast.