FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]
Old May 3, 2016, 11:53 am
rjque
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maytrix
I don't judge - I just think more parents need to be aware.

You do realize why lap infants are allowed, right? There's only one single reason. Statistically speaking, airline travel is safer. The thought is if kids under 2 were required to be in their own seat in a proper restraint, that parents would choose to drive instead of fly and therefore statistically speaking, end up at a greater risk.

Here's my last though - something for any parent to think about when they consider whether or not to buy a seat.. Consider this - Some day, some time in the future, an infant is going to be on a plane with severe turbulence or some other incident and that infant will be injured or maybe even killed. Is spending the money on a seat to properly restrain them worth it to remove yourself from being in that pool of people where someone, someday will be with their infant? For me, it is well worth the added cost.
It's an individual decision for everyone, and there is no wrong answer. If spending the money on the extra seat meant fewer visits to grandma before she passed away, then the low risk of flying with a lap infant would be worth it to me.