FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high-end hotels usually disappointing?
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2016, 11:09 am
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
That's probably why my favorite part about any hotel is the possibility of a vast breakfast spread...
You. I like you. This is how I feel too - I couldn't care less about many of the service elements that characterize a high end hotel. Turn down... for what? Just like the immortal poet Lil' Jon, I too question the utility of frivolous touches that emphasize unnecessarily visible service...

...but I absolutely judge a hotel by the quality of its breakfast, and my expectations are high for the best properties.

In Scandinavia, it's judged by how many types of herring are present (personal record, five). In China, the best buffets allow me to assemble two completely separate meals - nothing like protecting your dim sum from baked bean juice with a well-placed hash brown triangle. And in tropical areas, it's all about the variety of available fruits.

Looking back at many of my favorite stays - Sky City Marriott in Hong Kong, The Shelbourne in Dublin, Mauna Kea Beach Hotel in Hawaii - I realize the common thread binding them all together is a comprehensive, well-executed breakfast.

You know what they say, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach...