FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high-end hotels usually disappointing?
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2016, 4:11 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I think high end hotels are a waste of money if you just sleep there. But if you fully utilize its amenities and facilities, it is totally worth it. Four Seasons on a weekend business trip? Count me in. But if I am going somewhere for the first time and have a jam-packed sightseeing schedule then splurging on a hotel makes no sense.

With all that said I do believe Aman hotels are disappointments to say the least. For thousands of dollars a night you get not much more than something like the Four Seasons, MO, IC, etc. Especially in Asia when service is great at any hotel.
If you get to the hotel in time to shower and sleep and the get up with the chickens and head back out then any decent, clean bed to sleep in is fine. But even if you have a heavy schedule, if you're going to be there for a while there are going to be times that you want a down time. Times when you want to sleep in, have a nice breakfast, relax in your room for a couple of hours, etc. Then a nice hotel makes a huge difference.