FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high-end hotels usually disappointing?
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2016, 3:36 pm
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
And I have yet to find a concierge that can find information faster than I can google for it. As for restaurants, I'm not really that into fine dining and I prefer Asian food, and since I grew up in an Asian home, I can tell the difference between an authentic hole in the wall place versus a high end decór imitator like PF Chang's. Unless the concierge is Asian, then I doubt they can accurately make any decent recommendations for me.

Most of the time in my experience when I've asked a concierge, I end up getting a blank stare from them or a useless answer. Since I now have google in my pocket, I don't even bother wasting my time asking them. If I want to know of good things to do in say, Miami, I'll just google for it, way faster and I can quickly scan reviews to see what others think.

No need for an app, just google for anything and everything these days

And btw, the one time I did stay at a Ritz Carlton, the valet took about 25 minutes to bring me my car when he promised me 3 minutes, and then, he managed to bring the wrong one. And then, he just showed some attitude and didn't apologize for the delay or screwup. I tipped him just $1 to basically tell him his service was horrible. I quickly got out of there and haven't been back to that property again.
It's not about how fast he can find it, it's about how he can best guide you in a city you're unfamiliar with. Google isn't going to help you understand the nuances of a city's dining options, just list a useless TripAdvisor ranking. If you're in an unfamiliar place, you can do a lot worse than listening to an experienced concierge.