FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Old May 2, 2016, 11:12 am
Ariel74

Did it twice last week at two different properties, and in two different ways, and both just posted:

1). Used the booking tool from the link in the Wiki and got the price online. Entered my detail and it dropped down to $75 for the booking. I reserved it, and no one from the hotel ever contacted me, but I assume they actually did set up a meeting room. Points and days posted a few minutes ago.

2). Used the same tool but did "Request Quote". Sales guy from the hotel responded the same day and sent me a contract and CC authorization. Filled out the contract, which did specifically mention Rewarding Events. Never showed up, and the email came through this morning - checked my MR account and the points + 10 days did post. This one was particularly nice because I talked them down to $50.

I can't believe that this worked, but it will be nice to get Gold again (dropped to Silver a couple of years ago and have stayed there, with ~ 20-30 nights per year) before I do a bunch more business travel this year (I would get to it anyway, but it's nice to have it in advance). I'll have to do some legit meetings this year too with my team at a Marriott so I can add more into the Lifetime days.

Last edited by Ariel74; May 2, 2016 at 11:17 am