FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]
Old May 1, 2016, 8:27 pm
maytrix

Originally Posted by azepine00
Oh not this again ...
Car seats have no meaningful contrubution to safety on board of aircraft. We went through this here many times before - and i am yet to see any data to support those claim of statistically meaningful safety benefits.

If one feels the need to take a seat on board for practical reasons (for example your kid only sleeps in his seat) - go right ahead but note that dragging one across airports is rather inconvenient and distracting.
I'm not sure how you can say that. Look at it this way. How many flights face extreme turbulence. I've flown a lot and have never experienced the worse turbulence that some have. Out of those flights that do experience this, how many have in lap infants?

There just isn't the data there, yet not that long ago (week or two maybe) there was severe turbulence on a plane where I believe two flight attendants were injured. You really don't think a child is safer in a car seat then being held? There's another case I read where an infant was thrown from a mothers arms into a seat across the isle. Fortunately they were ok. But you really think being in a car seat wouldn't have been safer?

I think its fine to make any choice you want, but to tell anyone, anything but their child is safer in a car seat then in a lap is just a lie. All you can say is that the odds are good that it won't make a difference.