FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - spirit airlines - fake cancellation- have you ever heard of anything like this?
Old May 1, 2016, 6:35 am
fried.food.is.good

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
spirit airlines - fake cancellation- have you ever heard of anything like this?

The day before I was supposed to depart, I received an email indicating my flight was cancelled so I called into customer support.

To make a long story short, the customer service representative (CSR) indicated that someone claiming to be me called in and cancelled my flight.

I was astonished that someone could call in and just cancel a flight. After speaking to this CSR for 45 mins and asking him to reinstate the original flight, we concluded that he could not. He could only sell me a new ticket which was 3x what I paid.

I was transferred over to a US based representative and after explaining my situation, she was able to track down a recording of the call. Typically, an investigation takes 24-48 hours but they expedited it for me because my flight was the following day.

The US based CSR sided with me only because the CSR who took the cancellation call did not ask for 4 pieces of information to verify the caller – they only asked for 2.

In the end, it took me 2 hours and 47 minutes to restore my original ticket at the original price.

Nevermind that this happened on Spirit, has this ever happened to you or anyone you know on any airline?