FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high-end hotels usually disappointing?
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2016, 2:49 am
matrixwalker2012
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have yet to find an app that can replace a good concierge. One who listens to your interests/wishes, makes recommendations based on personal experiences, and then makes it happen using his connections. I'm not talking about slipping the guy in Vegas $50 for getting you into a steakhouse, or anything as vulgar as that, btw.
And I have yet to find a concierge that can find information faster than I can google for it. As for restaurants, I'm not really that into fine dining and I prefer Asian food, and since I grew up in an Asian home, I can tell the difference between an authentic hole in the wall place versus a high end decór imitator like PF Chang's. Unless the concierge is Asian, then I doubt they can accurately make any decent recommendations for me.

Most of the time in my experience when I've asked a concierge, I end up getting a blank stare from them or a useless answer. Since I now have google in my pocket, I don't even bother wasting my time asking them. If I want to know of good things to do in say, Miami, I'll just google for it, way faster and I can quickly scan reviews to see what others think.

No need for an app, just google for anything and everything these days

And btw, the one time I did stay at a Ritz Carlton, the valet took about 25 minutes to bring me my car when he promised me 3 minutes, and then, he managed to bring the wrong one. And then, he just showed some attitude and didn't apologize for the delay or screwup. I tipped him just $1 to basically tell him his service was horrible. I quickly got out of there and haven't been back to that property again.