FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high-end hotels usually disappointing?
View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:06 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
If I travelled weekly for work and had an expense account, I would probably prefer to stay at a more "sterile" higher-end place that consistently delivered the same thing - a good night's sleep, and whatever else I need to get work done.

As a leisure traveller, I prefer lower-end places (anything from hostels and guest houses to 2*-4* hotels, depending on the mood and expense) where I'm not nickel-and-dimed for every cough and sneeze, and that have some character (and good reviews). Staying at a higher-end place every once in a while doesn't hurt, but I try to minimize my hotel time when traveling for leisure.
Not sure why you would call a nice hotel "sterile" given that the context you used means vanilla and boring. Dirty with a small bed with a open spring doesn't make for a better "mood" or give it character.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Having done this type of travel I prefer staying at mid-range apartment hotels where I can make my coffee in the morning and cook my own meals if I choose. I've stayed at higher-end hotels on business and the thrill wears off after you have to wade through a lobby filled with tourists every morning on the way to work.
Yes. When I'm travelling a ton (which I usually am) I look for a executive serviced apartment like Marriott Executive Apartments. 50% less than a Marriott FS hotel plus full size kitchen and en suite laundry. The one I use in Bangkok has an American grocery store next door so I can get the foods I'm used to cooking and can feel right at home.