FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weighing carry-on baggage at CDG
View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:25 pm
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
Thanks for the clarification.
But unless my memory fails me even more horribly than usual, I believe that EZY "guaranteed" the 56cm bag for upfront pax between 2013 and August 2015, while only 50 for others. Update, actually I just checked on internet that this was the case until August 2015.
Ah, thanks, I did not realise that the 56cm bag was guaranteed for speedy boarding pax till the drop of the guaranteed cabin bag.

My experience with EZY is probably more limited than yours. Last year I had five departures from ORY (2), NCE (2) and DBV (1), always upfront. I typically book 1D & F (for my charming wife) and we never got a pax in the middle seat. As this is for holiday, I can choose cheap flights and the load was never more than 85%. As usual they make an announcement at the gate regarding voluntary checking of bags. As we go through the counter with speady boarding, we were never questioned about our bags, eventhough we had a second laptop or lady bag (but were ready to pack it in our single bag if requested).
But that's the thing as an "upfront" passenger, you are formally entitled to the second bag! It is the official rule that you can take it and there is no need to be ready to pack it into the larger one unless you stop buying those very nice seats!

My U2 flights last year have been on a limited number of routes (1 to 3 of each!): NCE-ORY-NCE, NCE-VCE-NCE, NCE-SXF-NCE, NCE-LGW-NCE, LGW-LYS-LGW, LGW-NTE-LGW, and to be honest, I don't think I had a single flight with a load below 90% load or so except one flight from NTE but to be honest I can't remember distinctly if the gate people behaved any differently than usual!

As a side note, I enjoy the no-weight-limit applied by EZY.
Me too! It is also, at least virtually, BA's policy as well and I like it for the same reason (in theory BA has a weight limit of 23kg for the main piece of hand luggage but in truth, while I have seen the large or even the smaller bag measured - and I hate the size reduction of the latter - I don't remember ever seeing BA gate staff weigh hand luggage in (literally) hundreds of flights.