FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Runners toe. Any advice on how to avoid it?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:56 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
My soccer boots have caused my big toe nail to go black at the front. Its from the consistent impact and not giving it time to heal which would take 4-6 weeks.

Tried everything from bandages to foam cover but nothing helps. Anyone else have them here?
Your shoes are too small. You should have about 1/4" gap between your toe tips and the boots. Also, make sure the rest of the shoe is tight. If your feet are slipping forward then you're going to be hammering your toes on the shoe. And keep your toenails really, really short.

Try this, no guarantees. I wear the japanese "toe socks". Injinji is the brand I use. I wear a smaller size than I should so that the sock is really tight on the toes. Then I wear a second pair of socks over that. Plenty of padding, proper fit shoes, I haven't had runners toe or even a blister in years.

One other thing, if you've got a lot of pain while the nail is black (you usually do) there's a way to alleviate that. The black is from blood trapped under the nail and the pain is from the pressure of that. Disinfect a needle and slip it under the toe nail into the blood. Don't worry, it's not going to hurt. The nail is already separated from the toe at that point. Drain the blood, slather it with disinfectant and let it sit a few hours and you're ready to go.