FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-leather light-weight brief advice
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:15 pm
IsleOfMan

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My issue with Tom Bihn is every bag they make, stylisticly, looks like a camera bag from 1992... the same holds, though to a notably lesser degree, for Red Oxx. I don't think the font/contrast/patch-style of the logo helps this any and I know many of the colors offered contribute to this. I've tried to get past it, but that's the impression I get every time I look at their bags. This isn't my impression of their quality/utility at all, just the surface aesthetic.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I wish Timbuk2 made more than just backpacks and messengers. I get the crowd they're marketing to, but I like their bags otherwise IF they were offered in a more traditional brief layout without a messenger flap.

If I were looking for a higher-end small/light bag (which I am, just have to pull the trigger) I myself would lean towards one of the BR offerings, but I'd personally probably only need the Contact Small, Small Slim, or one of the similar discontinued models. I use a dual-boot Android/Windows tablet as my only device when traveling 90% of the time and rarely take my either of my 12.5" or 14" ultrabooks with me.

This leads me to one other piece of advice that should be obvious... the easiest way to cut weight from a bag is to take less stuff. I travel with the below items and my bag is extremely light thanks to packing mostly only what I know I need and not going overboard on items only useful in rare/avoidable/adaptable situations. I carry:

- Teclast X98 Plus Android/Windows Tablet in folio stand case
- Generic iPad Bluetooth Keyboard
- Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Mouse
- Aukey 3x USB QC 2.0 Charger
- 3x 1' Micro USB Cables
- 1x 3' Micro USB Cable
- Aukey 10,000 mAH QC 2.0 USB Battery Pack
- Bohm Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones
- 4" USB OTG Adapter
- 6" x 8" Notebook & Pen

All the gadgets/chargers fit in an Eagle Creek Pack-It Sac Small. The Tablet/Keyboard slide into the main compartment tablet pocket of the Amazon 11.6" Laptop/Tablet Bag (which will also just barely fit my 12.5" ultrabook when needed). The notebook slides into the main compartment and the pen in one of the pen-loops. The Pac-It Sac and headphones then slide in the front compartment with the headband of the heaphones overlapping the Sac. My phone/wallet/watch reside in the small pocket in front when transiting TSA PreCheck.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Apr 28, 2016 at 7:47 pm