FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:57 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
This is incorrect. You are referring to the t&c of the Medallion program (and to a certain extent to the COC and the tariffs (fare rules)).

DL enters all manner of corporate contracts in which it commits to all manner of specific commitments and defines those as of a specified date. Those matter a great deal to companies which use those to do travel cost projections.

Unlike individuals who get the benefit of the Medallion program each day as it stands that day, large corporate customers cut deals which stand for a period of time. Not just as to the t&c of the FFP.
Perhaps, but I'm wondering how much wiggle room DL has, given the way the FF program rules and these contracts are written. For example, DL could define new inventory classes for various types of upgrades and make the corresponding space available/unavailable as it wishes. I wouldn't expect many contracts to offer a deeply discounted Y fare and promise that it will upgrade into F on a last seat availability basis at the time of booking. That would seem more like a discount on a FULL F or at least discounted P fare. If the company is letting all business travelers book such fares, it's simply paying for FC while writing rules that say coach fares, which would seem strange unless there's some public relations reason for not admitting that it permits FC.

Of course, I don't know what DL's corporate contracts say and I suspect that you do not know this either.