FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please report your Star Alliance award redemption experiences
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:46 am
Jma12

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Interesting.

I recently checked for an award flight TLV - YYZ using A3 miles, but the A3 agent told me AC does not release business class seats to them on that flight.

But I don't see why availability should be available to 1 partner, and not to another *A partner.
Are different partners closer than others?
Yes, unfortunately I believe it is true. All savers award are not share equally among *A partners. Maybe they see A3 as a smaller airline, which generates less revenue compare to larger airlines. And it is not profitable if they release premium seats to them? I am not sure about the real reason, since I can only compare data between Aeroplan and A3.

Originally Posted by jackebofh
I know how it should work - i also know that it doesn't work the way it's supposed to, hence my post.

Another datapoint - A3 won't allow you to book an OJ as a return ticket. It has it's consequences (good and bad):

You can book 2 one-way tickets to make an open jaw.

Bad:
- if your flight is more then 2 sectors, you'd have to get two separate tickets for travel there and return, hence double the 20 euro fee.

Good:
- If you're in a situation you're traveling from a city with two airports (think Tokyo for example), you can get away with redeeming half the miles booking OW ticket that goes like NRT-XXX-HND.

But this situation is only beneficial if you plan on staying at XXX for less than 24 hrs as per A3'S rule. Also many times, you might not get to spend that much time in XXX because there are only limited amount of flights that flies back to the origin city. I think for most people, they would like to stay at their destination city for more than 24 hrs.

Last edited by Jma12; Apr 28, 2016 at 9:53 am