FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] 1099s for miles & cash rewards from all banks
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:04 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robbierob03
I'm not sure if this should be asked here or in the Citi forum, so mods please move as you see fit.

For anyone that received a 1099 from Citi for TYPs earned from a checking or savings account, would you mind sharing how much you redeemed them for in dollars? I'm trying to figure out how close to $600 the redemption value needs to be in order for a 1099 to be issued. I have 42k of TYPs eligible to be redeemed from a checking account, and a Prestige I can use to enhance the value.

I'm just trying to figure out if redeeming the 42k TYPs for $582 (12.5k of student loan rebates and 29.5k in AA airfare) is too close to any potential cutoff.
Citi doesn't use the actual redemption cost to determine whether to issue a 1099. They use some arbitrary valuation of a TYP points or AA miles to do so. In the case of AA miles, many people consider it to be a ridiculous valuation, but there's nothing you can do about that (other than not earning miles / points from checking / savings accounts, only from credit cards).