FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for a Colorado Trip
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:31 am
TRRed

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by djp98374
If you have done Estes/Ft Collins area, I would suggest focusing on the west and south portion of the state.

assuming you have 7 full days in Colorado

start from Walsenberg (drive thru Dodge City to here)

day 1 drive to San Dunes NP, night Alamosa or Pagosa Springs
day 2 to Durango then to Cortez (get tickets for Mesa Verde for next day)
day 3 Mesa Verde NP, night in Durango
day 4 drive to Ouray
day 5 dallas divide area, black canyon of Gunnison NP then to Buena vista
day 6 browns canyon rafting trip, night Cripple Creek
day 7 Pike PEak and Colorado springs (Garden of the gods)

Before I read down to this post, I was thinking along the same lines. Depending how much time you want to spend at Sand Dunes, you can drive from Denver to Sand Dunes to Durango in a day and then base yourselves in Durango for several nights. Pagosa Spring, Cortez, and Mesa Verde are all within about an hour of Durango. Chimney Rock Mesa between Pagosa and Durango is good for light hiking, but like all of these areas, you will want to start the day early given the potential afternoon heat.

Basing in Montrose (or Delta) would give you easy access to Black Canyon and wineries around Grand Junction and Palisade. Colorado Nat'l Monument near Grand Junction is worth a drive through.

If you want to do Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods, I would suggest doing that on the front end and staying around I-70 for your return trip, possibly including Glenwood Springs and Idaho Springs (rafting available there and in Durango, not sure of other locations).

Tip: I have been advised to take large pieces of cardboard, especially waxed or glossy cardboard, to Sand Dunes to slide on.

Enjoy.