FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Food quality: getting worse by the day
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:23 am
VivoPerLei

Originally Posted by pinniped
Is this just a couple restaurants, or do you feel like the overall culinary scene in Boston (assuming you're there...) is falling apart?

I feel like options where I live are actually getting better. Kansas City used to be a one-trick pony: barbecue. Now we have a wide variety of more modern, cosmopolitan choices that aren't centered around a huge hunk of smoked meat. We're not piling up Michelin stars yet, but a lot of national magazines are beginning to rate KC as a Top 20 (U.S.) type of food destination. Much of the credit goes to non-barbecue development. Quality here is light-years better than it was 20 years ago.

Of course we also have some restaurants that rest on their laurels. There are some older, widely-recognized barbecue places in town where quality is nowhere near what some newer places are doing. They bring people in because of name recognition only.
Have to agree with that. Who could have seen that coming?

As to the OP, I think it would be helpful to identify the specific restaurants or chains in question. There are some American chains I don't think are bad at all (Cheesecake Factory, for one), and some that are awful (On the Border). I would think it would be hard to extrapolate that food in general is getting worse without narrowing down the types of places first.