FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going to Canada for the first time!
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:16 pm
mvtm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I assume your tour of Ottawa will include Parliament Hill. The tour of the building is free so make sure you get in there. I like just walking around the Hill too; not many people go to the back but I like to go. Across the bridge you'll find the Canadian Museum of History (formerly the Canadian Museum of Civilization). That's a really good one to go to. Back in Ottawa you should walk through the Byward Market and try taking a tour of Rideau Hall which is the official residence of the Governor General. (The GG is the official representative of Her Majesty the Queen who is Head of State for Canada.)

Oops - gotta go now. Will try to drop this thread and post more later on.
Yes, yes of course i'm going to Parliament Hill, i would die if not. I love that building and it's like the #1 thing to do there.

So far of my Ottawa list i have:

1 Change of guard Parliament Hill (Free tour- arrive early morning)
- Peace Tower

2. Try the BeaverTails

3. Canada Museum of History

4. Stroll the Rideau Canal
- Climb into the Chateau Laurier

And if i have time, maybe add mint? and Rideau Hall! Yes, i agree with you i would love the Canadian Museum of History, in fact i checked a few that are in Ottawa and the one i liked the best to go was that one. From Toronto i'll like the AGO too, seems more enticing to me even than the ROM, but of course i'll do both. I'm female and i'm not really into seeing a Hockey Hall of fame museum... really.. it's not my cup of tea, i think i will skip that one but thanks.

Thanks so much for the tips.

If i stay at the Chelsea (i will know this week), what are some good places to eat nearby the hotel? Also, i forgot what you guys recommend me for the Toronto metro passes? Can i get a good value public transportation ticket or day passes are best?

What other areas are better than Chelsea? I heard a lot about Yonge,Yorkeville and everything with Y is supposed to be trendy. I'm not looking exactly for expensive things but do like to a broader panorama about Toronto different neighborhoods and/or areas.

Originally Posted by vernonc
it is a good hotel and near a upscale area with a mall next door. Centrally located.
That's nice to hear, location for me is prime.

Originally Posted by weblet
This might not be of interest, depending on where your interests lie, but if you were to rent a car while in Toronto, you could head about 2 hours north to "cottage country" in Muskoka. If you like nature ...
Sadly i don't think i'll be able to add an extra excursion 2 hours away, frankly i'm happy with all the things i must do at Toronto. I like nature... but my parents not so much. They are in their 70 and 80's and they have never been nature or animal fans, but thanks!!

Originally Posted by weblet
...more interesting than the 400 and QEW
What's QEW and 400?

I will post more details as soon as i have them. I'm taking notes of all your recommendations for a better trip experience.