FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Customs Agent: Where did you buy that XXXXX?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:28 pm
Negishi

Programs: ANA Diamond, HH Diamond, Langham 1865 Voyager
I returned to Chicago from Tokyo as part of a larger trip that also included HK and Shanghai. I went to the Global Entry kiosk (with was about as crowded as regular immigration), answered the questions including saying I had nothing to declare, got my slip, and went to the exit line with the final customs check. The agent asked if I had anything to declare and i said no, which I didn't. He then became more specific, alcohol, tobacco, are you sure you don't have any alcohol or tobacco. He then wanted to know why I was in Tokyo. I told him a business trip, which it was. He then said business trip is vague, what were you doing in Tokyo. He's had an attitude the whole while but I'm thinking what the h**l, is this really information he's entitled to. So I tell him I met with a Japanese asset company to discuss opening a domestic fund for one of our funds.He instructs me to go over to the line where they X-ray your luggage and if they choose to do so throughly search your luggage. I really didn't have anything so all they did was x-ray it and send me on my way. My question is the agent entitled to question me this way, as in "business trip is vague, what did you do in Tokyo?" It seemed to me this guy was acting more like immigrations office than customs office and a real pain of a customs office at that. Can I tell the guy that it was none of his business what i was doing in Tokyo? And clearly Global Entry signified nothing to him regarding my basic credibility.