FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:56 pm
PanAmWT

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Smells in Sheraton Taipei

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I wanted to try the Sheraton 2 weeks ago but walked because the rooms smelled horrible (I had a look at 3 different ones).
Originally Posted by paolo64
There is absolutely no strange smell about the rooms at the Sheraton.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I stay at the Sheraton now, and I've never encountered a strange smelling room.
Unfortunately, skywalkerLAX is right. The sewer pipes connecting the guest bathrooms in suites XX50 and XX51 (facing the glass elevators) have been partially blocked for many years. Even though these are nice diplomatic suites, sometimes the smells are very noticeable especially if no one occupied the room the night before. The smell problem is not limited to these two rooms, in fact most rooms on the south side of the buildings are affected. The major renovation completed around 2006 did not completely replaced the old plumbings, partial blocking in some rooms occur occasionally (and more frequently in some rooms). The rooms on the south side (across from both the west and the east elevators, which are on the north side) are exposed to strong sunshine, the heat accumulated in an un-occupied room easily exacerbates whatever smell from moisture in the room. If the room smells, turn on the aircon for several hours might alleviate the problem.

Another issue that used to be more common but much less so now is that some guests smoke in the rooms. Sheraton is the only one among the Taipei *W hotels that have this problem, because no one else take in large tour groups, many of them from mainland China. Thanks to the efforts of the staff, the smoking incidents are rare now.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Apr 23, 2016 at 4:14 pm