FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:05 am
boybi

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by tfung
I really think the way of the future of AVOD systems is wifi streaming solutions... It's much cheaper for airlines to outfit a streaming solution and tell everyone to use their own phones or tablets for entertainment on the plane, especially in Y, than installing video screens and equipment.. Maybe even extra revenue for renting out tablets... the cost and weight savings alone should be an incentive for CX and other airlines to implement...
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
A hard line cable with 50MB bandwidth has a hard time keeping up with 50 people trying to watch video at the same time. I really doubt 200-300 people plane this will be a good solution. The idea is great but the technology is not there yet.
Originally Posted by chfshifter
I believe he meant streaming from the plane itself.
Philippine Airlines have been doing this for quite sometime already with some of their planes. These planes weren't equipped with screens. You need to download an app to your tablet and access their entertainment from there. But I haven't tried this yet.