FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR J (A380, 77W & B787) - Ritz-Carlton Tokyo - Sakura, Sushi & a Birthday Celebration
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:18 am
JohnRain

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
My layover in DOH was just under two hours which isn't all that long if you intend to dine twice and to snap some pics for the TR.

First stop: the formal dining area on the first floor of Al Mourjan.

When this lounge was built crude oil probably traded around 100 bucks, a pond therefore appeared like a necessity as the ultimate status symbol in an airport lounge. Today crude trades at 40 bucks and the bartender gives you a funny look when you want to order a glass of Krug. I guess reality has kicked in, even in the Middle East.

First some mezze to start.

Followed by a decent curry.

I started daydreaming and thought what it would feel like if all of a sudden a waiter came to pour me a glass of this stuff...
(Picture from my last visit to Al Mourjan in December. Happy times.)

The desserts looked nicer than they tasted.

Back on the ground floor, looking up to the formal dining area. A good vantage point to take in the sheer size of this lounge.

On the way to the more casual snacking area, I walked by some greenery...

... a reading/relaxation area...

...and the gaming room.

The lounge is so massive that by the time I reached the snacking area I was hungry again and had a toasted chicken sandwich with a tomato/mozzarella salad.

The ceiling is at least 10 meters high.

No time for dessert as it was already time to leave the lounge again and head to the gate. On the upper left and right you can see the tracks of the monorail that is currently being tested (I saw it drive back and forth a couple of times with no passengers on board and the seats still wrapped in plastic).

Conclusion: even without Krug, Al Mourjan is an excellent business class lounge.

Up next: To Tokyo on a QR 77W.