FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:29 am
Microwave
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer
Due to medical issues my wife had to cancel a flight bought last May. She has until the same date in May this year to purchase a new ticket with the credit and commence travel, but will not be able to meet that date. If she purchases a new ticket with the credit that costs less than the amount of credit, AA will issue her a paper voucher good for a year for the difference.

It occurs to me that she could buy an inexpensive one-way from A to B, not use it (possibly cancel it prior to flight) and get a voucher that preserves most of the credit for another year. Has anyone experience with this, i.e. will AA issue the voucher even if she does not board the flight from A to B?
I'm going to shift this discussion to the existing voucher master thread, which is the repository of received wisdom on this topic.

~Moderator