FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No lounge access on MH business award ticket?!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:15 am
Rami Tamimi

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I think the check in agent was just stupid and ignorant. It doesn't matter what booking class you are in, you are in Business Class. That's it ! Even if you're on an AD / ID ticket, they should not treat you any different. I think they're Contract Staff.
This is not entirely true.ID/AD tickets don't normally get lounge access (depends on the airline).

THis is definitely against oneWorld rules...
There are ways around the OW rules. If the airline wants to sell a J seat without J class lounge access,they can sell the ticket and use (for example) U class,which would be defined as Economy class for all purposes but you would get a 100% guarantee of an upgrade to J. This technique is used a lot in some countries,where firms might not care about the ticket cost,as long as it is not J class (Y only travel policy). So as far as oneworld is concerned you have a Y ticket and don't get access.

Also OP's lounge refusal (if he was not OWS) is not against OW rules in any case,as they (the rules) clearly exclude the third party lounges,so MH does not actually have to provide access to him as a J pax and/or as OWS if they so wish. I am only talking about technicalities here,not about customer service part.

That's a new one for me. Is it only MH who do this?
S7 does it with their brand new "NFC" fares and sell Business Class tickets with no lounge access (they warn you about it during the booking process) and those tickets are way cheaper than "normal" J class tickets. They also don't give you access if you AUP (airport upgrade). In both cases you are allowed to override this with OWS/OWE card and gain access.Also in both cases the fare basis would reveal that you are on a ticket that does not allow lounge access. I beleive that they code those as economy for oneworld purposes,hence not violating alliance rules.

That said,I don't think this is what happened in OP's case,I think it is simply the case of the agent confusing staff travel (ID ticket)with award ticket,hence the question "did you pay for your ticket".They are often coded in the same fare bucket. We have not [so far] heard of any changes/restrictions in regards to award tickets on MH.