FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel, Brazil [Master Thread]
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:14 pm
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Worst designed hotel room ever!

Okay now here at the Sheraton WTC watching the impeachment vote on TV, the controls of which are incomprehensible. More to the point, the room is the worst designed hotel room I've ever stayed in. Totally unfunctional. There is no lighting overhead the bed and the bedside lamps provided can't be positioned to cast enough light to read without their glare killing one's ability to read a page! They also occupy the only nearby electrical outlets so no other devices can be plugged in at the same time (though the outlets do take North American plugs without adaptors). The light switches are across the room and there is no bedside switch to deal with the main room lighting. The bed has no bedboard so it is impossible to sit up to watch TV or read (if you can get some light)...the actual mattress is about a foot from the wall and no number of pillows provides any support!

As for a work space, there is a small round table but you better have a long cord to connect to the nearest electrical outlet.

The designer of this atrocious room is Josemar Costa jr according to a sign in the corner. Obviously he's never stayed in a hotel, nor wanted to read in any bed he's slept in at home or away. And he seems to have a fixation with 60s shag carpeting. (At least it's not orange shag like the "love suite" I once received in a small hotel in Najpur, India. As the producer of a film shoot, the manager put me into what must have been the suite used by various locals and their mistresses...really out of Austin Powers with controls by the bed to control the blinds, fan, lighting and music!)

Too late to request a new room with properly designed furnishings. Only here for one night, having spent the weekend in the more traditional, and much better located for tourist activities, IC just off Paulista blvd...site of the huge rally in favour of impeaching the president (which just passed by more than the 2/3rds required). The only reason to stay out here is if one has business meetings as there is absolutely nothing to commend the district to a visitor and it's about R50 from central Sao Paulo.

Otherwise, the hotel is very nice and meets one's expectation of a non-US Sheraton. Staff is friendly and accommodating with no issues to having a 4p check-out so I can work until my 4:30p airport bus.

Last edited by Shareholder; Apr 18, 2016 at 7:54 am