FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:33 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Samuel72991
Hey all,

We purchased more expensive flight tickets (economy core I believe) in order to get better seats. We usually buy the least expensive economy class and end up sitting in the last rows as we can only choose seats 48 hrs in advance. My question is, do we have a high chance to get an upgrade from CX to Premium Economy if PY is still available?? We purchased the tickets way in advance.

I'm a MP Green member and was once upgraded to Premium Economy even though I purchased the economy special ticket class.

And, how about my family member?? She is not a MP member but what are her chances??
The thrust of your question is this: do sub-fare classes matter in op-up priority.

The answer to your question, in the general view of this board: No

The most important factors are your status, op-up priority hierarchy and CIV ("customer intrinsic value"). CIV is only a tie-breaker within the same hierarchy level so in your case, it's basically irrelevant.

However, it's not a golden rule. A lot of times, check-in agents will be razzled, there might be some operational situations that arise, other flights could delay/cancel at last minute creating problems, or whatever, but it's totally possible for folks with zero status whatsoever to be op-upped. However, in the general view of this board, whether you buy a slightly cheaper or more expensive economy ticket would be irrelevant.