FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Uber now available in Buenos Aires
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:18 pm
saint

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I'm here on vacation. Funny seeing how scared all the taxis are of it. Many taxis have "No to Uber" signs in their windows. Last night my wife just told me Uber started operations. We were coming back home in a taxi and he heard us talking about it in English. He asked us if we can give him our opinion as foreigners on Uber. He also asked how it works. He said he didn't even know how it works.

We explained how we take it all over the world and how great it works. We even opened up the Uber App and showed him how it showed an Uber car was 5 minutes away.

He was polite but then spoke the entire ride from Palermo Hollywood to Recoleta why he is against it. How he pays 900 pesos per day to rent his taxi and has to make ends meat. He also said it's not fair that people with no license, possibly no insurance in the event of a car accident, etc.

It will be interesting to see how well it works here. In other cities, there aren't as many taxis but here there are tons and tons of taxis. Today I tried to take one and opened the App. First it said an Uber was 5 minutes away. Then when I clicked on it, the App just hung forever. In the meantime we saw at least 15 taxis go by. My wife finally just said to grab a normal taxi.

I used to live in Buenos Aires and only had a tough time finding a taxi when it's raining or on holidays. I'll try again before we leave but sounds like there are still some glitches with the software.