FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Siena and Florence hotels
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:49 am
USAFAN

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by producer:
I'll check in at the sites recommended. Thanks.
I'm curious; I've been told "don't miss a night in Siena. It is magic after dark."
It's obviously easier to day trip, but anyone have an opinion on whether we'll be missing all the "magic" if we do?

</font>
Yes, Siena is "magic"; may be even more so "after dark", without the tourists. It's a very "dark" medieval town, cars (and many busses!!) have to stay out of the old town, very interesting sites, however, lots of tourists during the day, on some days it's a zoo...

As mentioned by others, there is a lot to see in Siena. Also the world oldest bank, near Piazza del Campo:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Bank of Monte dei Paschi,
"The mountain of the pastures" is the bucolic name of this Siena credit institution created in 1472 and amongst the most active today... even if it's doubtful that the pastures around Siena still serve to guarantee its business, one of the most European banks of today. The prosperous establishment has bought the three palaces (Salimbeni, Spannochi and Tantucci) on Salimbeni square.</font>
I liked, interesting venue, food O.K.:
Ristorante Guido, Dal 1935
Vicolo Pier Pettinaio, 7
53100 - Siena (SI)
Posizione: centro storico, a 20 m da Piazza del Campo
http://www.emmeti.it/guido/

[This message has been edited by USAFAN (edited Dec 31, 2003).]