FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Turtle Inn and Blancaneaux Lodge (Belize)
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:00 am
KI-NRT

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
Any information on the Coppola properties in general? I'm keenly interested in these places but would love if anyone had any firsthand information. Also, looking at La Lancha, too.
OK, I'll bite...

Stayed at La Lancha back in 2010, so take it for what you will.

We were there for 3 nights as part of a Guatemala trip that combined visits to Antigua (Hotel Posada del Angel) and Lago de (Lake) Atitlan, where we stayed at Casa Palopó - probably the best in the area, and a charming property with caring staff and stupendous views of the lake (and surrounding volcanoes.)

The primary purpose of staying at La Lancha was Tikal - it's only about 45 minutes away on (mostly) smooth, paved road. While staying there, we also visited Ixpanpajul for zip lining (our first time doing so) and did some hiking in the area - they also have a cool sky walk in Ixpanpajul (i.e. - long suspension bridge high up in the canopy.)

We also took a private boat tour of Lago de Petén Itzá, as well as Flores. They have a zoo there called Petencito Zoo. It's really peaceful, and the animals seemed to be well taken care of and housed in spacious environs. The zoo showcases many of the fauna that are indigenous in Guatemala (many that you'll very rarely see in the wild, however.) We really enjoyed it. Later, we checked out Tayasal, an unexcavated Mayan-era archeological site, where you're treated to wonderful views of the lake (and Flores town) after about 15 minutes of hiking up the hill.

Other activities we partook in - we went kayaking in Lago Petén Itzá, and explored Actun Kan Cave.

Now to La Lancha itself - while some of the details are hazy for me now, here is what I recall:

We stayed at a Lakeview Casita (room 1, to be exact.) We enjoyed beautiful views of Lago Petén Itzá from the terrace. The rooms are not super luxurious, but were comfortable. I believe the rooms are laid out as duplexes, and heard some faint noise from the neighboring room one night... not sure if it's a major issue or not.

I recall the food being a highlight. Mrs. KI-NRT still fondly remembers our time in La Lancha, with a lot having to do with the food. A mix of continental and local (quite similar to Mexican) cuisine, with fresh, organic and local vegetables as well as homemade bread, tortillas and sauces. They had a grill for cooking fish, meat and veggies outside - everything was fantastic.

Staff were incredibly warm and friendly. Even more so than at any Aman I've ever stayed at, they made us feel like friends/family. I really enjoyed joking around and (tastefully and playfully) teasing one of the waiters there, and he was always a big ball of sunshine whenever he made our way to the dining area. All of the staff were like that, actually.

We did not bother even thinking about spa/gym/pool; we didn't care, we spent most of our time exploring rather than vegging. Therefore, I can't comment on these (or whether they even exist.)

La Lancha is quite remote. It's about an hour drive (I think) away from Flores Airport, with the final 30 minutes being on bumpy gravel road.

I see La Lancha as a great place to unwind after an active day in the area, rather than a destination property.

Regarding Blancaneaux Lodge - we thought about staying there 2 weeks ago, but chose Chaa Creek instead. Chaa Creek appears to have an inferior hard product, and I can't imagine the food at Blancaneaux being any worse than CC (it was subpar.) We were assuming this to be the case going in, but chose Chaa Creek anyway due to its prime location - it's in relatively close proximity to Actun Tunichil Muknal ("ATM") cave, an experience not to be missed! There are also other advantages, including the ability to enjoy San Ignacio town nearby, as EfficientTraveller also pointed out.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Mar 22, 2017 at 4:25 pm