FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honeymoon Tips For A Novice...
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:00 am
GreatBritishBAECOff

Honeymoon Tips For A Novice...

Hi All,
We're off on our Honeymoon soon to some West Coast cities and Hawaii, and one of the main things I still have to tick off my list before we go is to get a better understanding of my camera and check my backup process, I don't want to lose anything or ruin any shots! I thought this would be a good place to get some tips...

They're pretty important photos, so I recently bought an RX100 iii, which I thought would be a good all round balance for cost, usability, quality etc. I didn't really want to be lugging around an SLR every day.

I have a pretty rudimentary understanding of photography, I would understand that aperture affects depth of field, how to tweak exposure etc, but I'm pretty inexperienced aside from watching some YouTube videos on the subject and trying it at home. Does anyone have any advice on what to aim for while we're away? I don't want to spend the whole holiday fiddling with the camera! Shall I just set it to Program Mode and then leave it? I can always edit things slightly when I get back. I don't think I'm confident enough to start messing with exposure on every shot etc. I'm also badly colourblind which probably doesn't help...

I also want to make sure I minimize the chance of losing anything. I've got 4 memory cards, and am going to split the trip up into chunks with these. I also think I've figured out the wireless transfer function on the RX100 so I was planning to transfer each day's photos to my iPhone at the end of the day. Does this sound sensible/sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.