FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:42 am
nineworldseries

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Did a quick overnight here over the weekend. I was originally going to stay at the new Hyatt Place in the loop as McCormick Place was booked all weekend but switched to here, as I'm really getting tired of the HP breakfast/scene and didn't want to pay the 7.5k/$100 at the Regency downtown.

Location is pretty close to the Rosemont Blue Line stop, but I was disappointed that there was no pedestrian bridge or cut-through directly from the station to the hotel, like there is with the (previous) Cumberland stop and the Renaissance and Marriott O'Hare properties. There's a fence to prevent cutting through the parking lot of the hotel, even, so you do have to walk three entire blocks around to the front entrance of the hotel. Since it's rarely warm in Chicago, this could be noteworthy.

Upgraded to an "Executive" room on the 28th floor; not sure of the difference here, but it seemed to be a slightly bigger room, it did have a proper desk, and there was a Keurig machine and refrigerator. Also, in the bathroom I was provided with Kenet face wash and lip balm (never seen either before) and mouthwash, no toothpaste.

Was not there early enough to sample the evening offerings at the Regency Club, but as others have noted, it's very small and adjacent to the check-in desk on the first floor- quite a strange setup. Breakfast was probably the weakest offering I've seen in a Regency Club lounge. One hot dish - some kind of spinach frittata that I didn't notice until it was too late. Packaged yogurt, cereal, and some rather sad-looking fruits and smoked salmon. The salmon looked pretty suspect, and the fruit was indeed pretty sad - a brown banana, some soft strawberries, moist honeydew slices, etc. At least they had mini croissants and two kinds of (also kind of sketchy-looking and tasting) cheese. I know I'm getting spoiled on breakfast by places like the Olive 8, but this one was below normal HR level. I think the next time I stay here, I'm going to request breakfast in the restaurant. Especially because I came all the way out here to avoid Hyatt Place breakfast, this was somewhat disappointing.

Everything else was ok, pretty standard - check-in and out were both very speedy due to an (enforced) Platinum/Diamond line, so my usual "everything's great until check-out leaves a bad taste in my mouth" routine was not played out here.

Ultimately, it reminded me of the Hyatt Regency Denver Tech Center - way outside the city and very, very average in every way. That's not a bad thing - I could have been fighting children for stale french toast at the HP downtown - but there was just nothing exceptional or exciting at all.

It is a good value at only 4k/$55 on a Points+Cash rate, and sometimes can be had for sub-$100 all-in. If you don't mind riding out to Rosemont (which I don't, as usually I'm somewhere on the Blue Line in Chicago anyway), it's a solid value.

However, I was ultimately left with the same feeling as every other time I've tried a new Hyatt property in Chicago. This city is supposed to be Hyatt's "flagship" city, and every Hyatt at which I've stayed here is flawed on some level.

McCormick Place - great Diamond treatment but boring breakfast and bad location (for some, I don't mind it)

Magnificent Mile - Good breakfast and rooms, clueless service, way too expensive most of the time for what it is

Centric The Loop - Nickel and diming the whole time, bad Diamond recognition, great breakfast

Hyatt Regency Chicago - Don't like the location, pretty average, blah service the one time I stayed there

Hyatt Regency O'Hare - Way out the blue line, subpar breakfast, OK otherwise

So it's like every place has some serious flaw. From what I read of the Park Hyatt, there are also problems there. I always feel like Hyatt should concentrate their efforts into one "A" hotel in Chicago rather than a wide variety of "C" properties.