FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong First Family forces CX to break airport safety rules
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:41 pm
Cathay Boy

Originally Posted by carmy
Agreed. I actually don't see what the big deal is all about.
The big deal is the spirit of Rule of Law, that nobody is above the Law, that if we start to accept "special people" can be above the law in "small instances", then don't get mad when they are above the law in ALL cases.

If I had forgot my bag landside, and asked AVSECO to retrieve it for me, I would be laughed in the face, my bag would be confiscated, probably disposed of, I would have to choose to missed my flight or go back landside, and CX probably won't put me on another flight free of charge. That's the difference, that's the big deal. The Law is the Law, it doesn't bend over backwards for anybody. And believe me, if Obama daughter did this, it would be media mayhem in USA.

Politics aside, even if she were an ordinary pax, why can't she return to get her bag that she forgot at security? Isn't it even more dangerous if random people all start leaving their bags at security (that they apparently aren't allowed to retrieve?)
1) It's against the law. Try it for yourself next time, cross the custom, and asked to "go back to retrieve something", see what they say.

2) Yes it's security risk, which is why AVSECO protocol mandates the item be examined and disposed of.

In any case, everything would have been fine if she had used the VIP terminal. I guess trying to go low key doesn't work all the time!
Everything would have been fine if she follows the law, like you and I.