FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Partner Availability?
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:54 pm
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
(1) I listed Ethiopian because the "flying better together" page (http://flyingbettertogether.com/customers/) listed them. I presume there's a random codeshare or something somewhere. Honestly, a narrower listing of "partners who you can actually get something out of" would probably be of use (though obviously the mix of said partners may change by merger day).

(2) The tone is a bad byproduct of a horrid experience with the AGR overhaul [1][2] and deeper questions as to whether AS is a carrier I want to deal with. This is not to speak ill of Alaska in many respects (I expect there is a good soft product), but what I see on SeatGuru (36 inch pitch) does NOT thrill me in the least compared to the hard product on AS. [3] I've heard alright things, but comparing 55-inch F on VX with 36-inch F on AS leaves AS a clear loser even if that 36-inch F came to me free (at least vis-a-vis a coach ticket). The ability to get that superior F product on every flight on VX is the primary reason I chose VX as my preferred carrier, so...as backhanded as it may sound, there's a good chance that trying to optimize behavior on AS simply won't be worth my effort. There are plenty of cases where if my choices are either a lousy product or not taking a trip I'll take the latter.

(3) As to the internal/external value point, as far as I'm concerned VX doesn't offer redemptions on their own metal. Compared with availability/pricing on VS (and even if there were an Emirates-level hit on that the value would still be better) I've never had a reason to seriously examine booking a redemption on VX.

Anyhow...basically I've got a sour attitude because of a major burning that's still overly fresh in my mind combined with what looks like a serious downgrade in the hard product.

[1] Most notably the "surprise" aspects of said overhaul which weren't announced until after-the-fact...while there was room to excuse Marketing being overly flowery with the initial presentation, failing to note the inclusion of "penalty" award prices in the overhaul (when the shift was very explicitly indicated as a shift to a fairly straightforward revenue-based system and the sample points calculator indicated as much).

[2] Basically walking in to news of a massive partner devaluation didn't help things. Yes, I know, they're swearing it's a one-off...but the AGR incident has made me very leery of such behavior.

[3] IIRC I had a ride in 38-inch F on Delta a few years back. That was one of two experiences which grossly soured me on Delta.