FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T Mobile Global data coverage
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:04 pm
BigFlyer

I used it recently in the Netherlands and South Africa and was surprised how usable it was.

I used Uber all the time, as well as Google Maps. A little slow if you are paying attention, but not bad at all.

What was surprisingly slow was web browsing - it was noticeable slow. Google will be slow, but it is functional.

What was surprising is how well photo uploads to Whatsapp and Hangouts went. Also, I regularly used the VOIP functionality in Whatsapp to speak with my wife who was travelling with me when we went our own ways, as well as to speak with people back in the US - perfect connections. This was a surprise as well.

Someone elsewhere postulated that we associate these type of slow speeds with crappy connections/bad service. When we get speeds like this domestically, it is not a solid connection.

However, when travelling abroad, we are getting throttled speeds over solid connections.

I can tell you that in South Africa (where we spent the bulk of our time) I could have easily bought a local SIM - and I actually like the geeky pleasure of setting it up. However, I didn't bother with the local SIM.

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Is this pretty useable? Mainly in regards to uber, google, and google maps.

I'm contemplating porting my number here for a month or two. I will have a local number as well, but this sounds more convienent than swapping SIMs every time I land in a new country.