FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yosemite - Post March 2016
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:17 pm
abmj-jr

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was hoping you would respond as you are the person most knowledgeable with the park whom I have seen posting. I was certainly surprised to learn about private lodging in the park. I wonder if it goes back to the pre park days when this was sheep grazing land. Perhaps some folks kept private ownership of their land??? Anyway, the official park site says "A variety of lodging options are available in the gateway communities surrounding, and on private land within" (Bolding is mine.)

Private land in Wawona

Occupy Oakland about private land being sold within Yosemite.

Yosemite West is outside park lands. I had thought it was within, but no. I remain confused about whether there is a park gate that one has to enter and leave. Please look at this map and tell me your thoughts.

This page on Yosemite West Lodging says it is within the park. It's probable that he will choose a property there. Next, he needs to figure out the bus situation within Yosemite. He plans to hike from Glacier Point to Bridalview Fall. I found information that says there is parking at Bridalveil but no shuttle. Do you have any suggestion about where he should park?
That first document is interesting. I have some experience working in a county development agency and with Specific Plans (completely different county and issues.) I wasn't aware there were so many private parcels in Wawona. I was aware that most of what is there is used during the season by concessionaire employees and park personnel. I suppose it makes sense that those places would be rented during the off-season to cover costs and taxes.

The "Occupy" article is crap. The author completely misunderstood the situation at Yosemite West. The entirety of YW is a private in-holding completely surrounded by the National Park. It is a small, isolated part of Mariposa County. There is no entrance gate between YW and Highway 41 inside the Park, or at least there wasn't the last time I was there. I believe the concept is that one will pass through the gate below Wawona (or another gate on the other highways) just to get to YW so they don't need to collect entry fees twice. Permanent residents have passes and don't have to pay fees every time. So, saying that YW is "inside" the Park is accurate but a bit deceiving. It lies within the park boundaries but isn't actually part of the park. They don't advertise it to the public but there is actually a small local road that locals can use to get to and from YW without going via SR41. It is a small, winding little thing that would not be useful for tourist traffic. It used to be blocked by a gate and was usually only for emergency use. I haven't been in there in decades so don't know if that is still the case.

Yosemite West or one of the Wawona properties are pretty much the only private rentals you are likely to find "inside" the Park. I have no idea of the condition of any properties that might be available. Either will certainly be closer to Glacier Point than any other private rentals.

In your last question, I think you meant Bridal Veil Fall rather than Bridal View. Yes, there is a bus stop right outside the parking area at BVF. It is on the "El Capitan" route, not the Valley Floor route. You can connect from one to the other at selected stops. To get up to Glacier Point, he will have to take one of the paid tour buses. They pick up at the Yosemite Valley Lodge (whatever it is called now) and take a circuitous but scenic route up to GP. I would guess the best place to park would be near the Lodge, using the shuttle buses to get back there after the hike. You hubby is going the right direction. I have hiked that trail up to GP (many years ago) and it is a killer.

I suppose he could also drive up to GP, hike down and then use the bus tour to get back to his car but that might be a little less certain as there are only 3 tours per day. Miss the last one and you might be stuck with the car at the top and the driver at the bottom.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...CP_JUMP_566977